Can Goats Eat Daylilies: That’s What You Need to Know!

You may feel anxious if you own goats and have a beautiful daylily garden. Daylilies are beautiful with an amazing scent. That tempts the goats to eat them. 

However, it’s important to know for you as an owner, can goats eat daylilies? 

No, goats should not eat daylily flowers. Daylilies are toxic to goats due to harmful toxins such as cardiac glycosides, colchicine, and oxalic acid. They cause adverse effects like vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. But the leaves and stalks of the daylily plant are safe for a goat to consume.

Only knowing the answer, in short, won’t enlighten you properly. So, stick with the article to know the reasons for toxicity and how to keep your goats safe from it.  

Can Goats Eat Daylilies?

can goats eat lilies

You should not feed daylilies to goats. Daylilies are particularly toxic to goats, especially when they are in the flowering stage. During flowering, the plant releases a toxic compound that attracts insects. 

Goats can suffer from diarrhea caused by this compound. It is the flowers of the daylily that are unsafe for goats. You must be extra cautious when daylilies are blooming if they are growing near your goats. At this time, goats will be most attracted to them and will pose the greatest danger.

However, goats can eat daylilies leaves. The leaves are small and lack significant nutritional value. So, there isn’t much benefit for goats to consume them. 

Also, goats can have daylily stalks profoundly. The stalks of daylilies are the most nutritionally beneficial part of the plant due to their fiber content. Goats can benefit from consuming the stalks.

Can Goats Eat Calla Lilies?

No, goats can’t eat calla lilies. Because Calla lilies (zantedeschia) are considered toxic to animals, including goats. Unless goats are extremely hungry, they usually avoid eating plants that are harmful to them. Similar to ants eating onions, they only consume those when another food source is unavailable.

A veterinarian should be consulted immediately if it is suspected that goats have ingested calla lilies.  Also, other potentially toxic plants should be avoided by goats.

Can Goats Eat Agapanthus?

No, goats should not eat Agapanthus plants. They are toxic to goats and can suffer adverse effects if ingested. To ensure the safety and well-being of goats, Agapanthus plants should be kept out of reach.

Are Daylilies Toxic to Goats?

Are Daylilies Toxic to Goats

Yes. Daylilies are generally considered toxic to goats. While daylilies may not be fatal to goats, they can cause problems if consumed in large quantities. Goats are particularly affected if they eat daylilies during the three weeks when the plant is in bloom.

Although some individuals have reported their goats eating daylilies without apparent issues. However,  it is important to note that the general consensus still considers daylilies toxic to goats. To ensure the safety of goats, it is best to avoid feeding them daylilies. Instead, Buffalo grass or Bermuda grass are some of the safer options for them.

However, you should consult a veterinarian if you suspect your goats have eaten daylilies.

Why Are Daylilies Toxic to Goats?

Let’s get to know why and how daylilies are toxic to goats. 

Toxicity During Blooming:

Goats are particularly affected if they consume daylilies during the three weeks. Especially when the plant is in bloom. It is possible that certain compounds or substances present during this period could be toxic to goats.

General Toxicity to Goats:

Daylilies can be fatal in some cases. Daylilies contain harmful toxins such as cardiac glycosides, colchicine, and oxalic acid. These toxins can have detrimental effects on the goat’s gastrointestinal tract, kidneys, and liver. Goats may experience severe symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. 

Also, they experience lethargy, tremors, seizures, and in extreme cases, death. It is important to prevent goats from accessing daylilies to ensure their safety and well-being.

Individual Variations:

It is important to note that, despite the fact that some goats have eaten daylilies without apparent ill effects, they still are toxic to goats. A goat’s tolerance or sensitivity to the toxic compounds in daylilies may vary.

It is recommended to avoid feeding daylilies to goats to ensure their safety. If you suspect that your goats have ingested daylilies, it is advisable to consult with a veterinarian. 

How Can You Know Goats Are Having Daylilies?

When goats consume an excessive amount of daylilies, they may show signs of liver disease. One common symptom is jaundice, which is characterized by a yellowing of the skin and eyes. 

Also, goats affected by the toxins in daylilies may exhibit abnormal behavior. However, identifying the specific issue caused by daylily ingestion can be challenging. Because the poisoning tends to accumulate over time. 

If you suspect that your goat has consumed daylilies, it is crucial to contact your veterinarian immediately. Because there is no DIY method you can apply to treat your goats. 

Prevent Accidental Consumption of Daylilies:

Keeping your goats safe from harm requires an understanding of the potential toxins contained in these beautiful flowers. Keep your goats safe by taking preventive measures to avoid accidental ingestion.

  • Ensure that your goats’ pasture is free of lilies. Keep an eye out for new growth and remove any existing lilies. 
  • Consider fencing off the pasture if there are lilies nearby to prevent your goats from accessing these toxic flowers. Make sure to fence your garden also. 
  • In the barn or feeding area, be cautious when introducing plants or flowers. 
  • Check the labels to make sure they are safe for goats. If you are uncertain. 

Monitoring your goats closely is equally important as prevention. Lilies may cause vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or lethargy, which are symptoms of toxicity. 

In this situation, without wasting your time go for medical assistance. The veterinarian will advise on treatment and potential antidotes that can aid in flushing the harmful chemicals from their system. 

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

What animals can eat daylilies?

Animals like rabbits, deer, and groundhogs can consume daylilies. Goats do not have a particular fondness for consuming daylilies. While daylilies are often regarded as weeds. 

Are canna lilies poisonous to animals?

No. Calla lilies are not poisonous to animals. According to the ASPCA, canna lilies are classified as non-toxic to dogs. They are generally regarded as safe and do not pose a significant risk if ingested by dogs. Similarly, canna lilies are also listed as non-toxic to cats by the ASPCA. While they are considered safe for cats, instances of toxicity are rarely observed.

Are Tiger Lilies edible?

Yes. Tiger lilies are not only admired for their beauty but also valued for their edibility. The bulbs of these lilies are highly regarded and cultivated in East Asia. Tiger lily bulbs have a similar taste and texture to turnips, making them a popular ingredient in cuisine. Similar to potatoes, they are frequently roasted. 


Now, you know the details regarding your question: can goats eat daylilies? 

Daylilies can pose a serious threat to your goats and should be avoided. It is essential to always educate yourself about plants that are toxic to goats. Take necessary precautions to ensure the goats’ well-being before adding any new vegetation to their diet. 

Wish you all the best in your endeavors!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *